Because I work with middle school and high school students, I don't physically
touch these students.  However, I DO try to make small talk with each one as I
check out their books or help them with their work.

It's easy to make a quick conversation with some meaningful point by doing things
like asking them about their names---  "You're name is SO pretty.  Are you named
after someone in your family?"  etc....  For boys, I'll mention their work--- "Wow,
that's really good composition on that Powerpoint.  I like the color schemes you've
used!"

I've noticed that the kids that I talk to (and I don't have a chance to talk to all
800 of them), are the ones who will address me specifically for help, who will come
to me to find answers, or who will joke around with me during those down-times in
the library.

I think it's all about making a connection that helps them to realize that you're a
"real person."  It also helps when they can see you in a "real-life situation"
outside of school.  Mine don't often see me in that situation since I live in
another city, but when I work on projects with them at school (our Habitat for
Humanity house, for example), they see that I'm a real person with many more
interests than just books....and even those things are conversation starters that
help them to get closer.

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
4200 Country Day Lane
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
817.732.7718 ext. 339

"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing
the impossible."
 ~St. Francis of Assisi
sbrisco@fwcds.org
http://www.fwcds.org/campus/libraries/default.asp