Thank you to everyone who responded.  Note that some of the sites have
free audiobooks.

See the list at

http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/audiobks/

 and

 http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/podcastdir/

Library Media Connection is in process of doing a review of a new
service providing reserve capability for digital audio books. Watch for
it next fall.

so you've checked out itunes.com? That's the only place I know of to
download audio books. They have over 16,000 of them....I think they're
still a little pricey though. But worth it for people on the go who want
to listen to a book while they're doing a million other things :)

Look at

www.playawaydigital.com

I believe that these are sold at Barnes & Noble....

We use audible.com for audio books at our school library.

Another source of digital audio books is the iTUNE store.

Yvonne Weinstein

www.mrsw.info

     RECORDED BOOKS now offers two school subscription options to
DIGITAL AUDIO BOOKS.

     There is NETLIBRARY which many of our local public libraries have
subscriptions to and that means our students have access through  their
Public Library Card and their public Library Websites.

     There is the HIGH PRICED "OVERDRIVE" which usually only big public
libraries subscribe to.

     And there is now the TUMBLE BOOKS which you can get a free trial to
if you email (either info@tumblebooks.com or go to www.tumblebooks.com).
These are both online digital books and some are audio and online read
alongs and now they have added a book report feature.

     They ran a special last fall which got us in at a discount.  If you
get on the mailing list, or if you email them, them might be able to set
you up.

Take a look at this information I created for teachers at my school. It
may have value to you.
http://hcs.k12.sc.us/high/nmbh/researchlinks/english/audiobooks.htm

Click on Audio Book Sites at:
http://hcs.k12.sc.us/high/nmbh/busyteachers.htm

I have been talking with people at audible.com and they are working on a
plan for schools and libraries to use to check out books on iPods, etc.
You will buy a plan, but you don't have to order each month, the points
paid for will carry over.

Project Gutenberg has a small audiobook section. Some have been read by
humans, some are computer generated text-to-speech. The portal to their
holdings is at:   http://www.gutenberg.org/audio/

Another source is Audiobooks for Free:

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/screen_main.asp

Still another: http://www.freeclassicaudiobooks.com/

Carol E. Niemi, Librarian

St. Francis High School

Where Christ is the reason for the school

Traverse City, MI

cniemi@gtacs.org