I cannot imagine a high school without a library either-but it depends
on the library.  I know of one high school where the kids don't check
out fiction, and the teachers don't schedule classes for research.  In
the past, the librarian position had incorporated so many other
collateral duties that the collection, programs, and funding received
little attention or support, and the library devolved into a seldom used
bookroom.

I know of another extremely busy and greatly used high school library,
where kids do check out and read fiction, and teachers not only
constantly bring classes to the library for research, but also rely on
the librarian to teach search strategies and assist both students and
faculty with research.

But it's not just high schools.   I know also of a town that has a
wonderful elementary library program which really promotes reading and
life-long learning; and I know another town which has aides or clerks in
all the lower grade campuses because, as one principal expressed it:
"...you don't need a degree to check out books to little kids, and
there's not much research that goes on at this level."

You wouldn't think the concept of LIBRARY would be such a hard sell- go
figure.

Back to high school--this topic triggers another pet solution of
mine-public library / high school library partnerships.  So many
resources duplicated; so little money in budgets.... I have attended
workshops on this subject and have heard great ideas. The big stickler
(just a wild guess here) is probably getting school boards and town
councils to discuss and cooperate on a shared project.  Yes, these
libraries have to keep records of funds received and spent from
different sources, but I think we could manage that.

It is too bad that whenever a district proposes a new high school, or a
city builds a new library or branch, that the educational and civic
leaders don't at least pick up the phone and see where the other one
stands in regard to future building plans-sometimes the timeframes are
close enough to coincide...and a shared library facility is better than
a discontinued one.

D. Jane Miller, Librarian

Brewer High School

1000 South Cherry Lane

White Settlement, TX 76108

817.367.1200x262

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap

compared to that of an ignorant nation."

Walter Cronkite