>>> Shannon Minner <shannon.minner@CITYSCHOOLS.NET> 5/1/2006 10:28 am

I am doing a little bit of "research" about author visits. If you have
moment and wouldn't mind answering my questions I would appreciate it.

How many authors have you had visit your school during your library
career?
I had one this year and it was my first.

Are you the one in charge of coordinating the visit?
I did most of the coordinating; however, the PTA funded it and took
care of that part.

What do you do to prepare for an author visit?
1. Make sure that the students know the author's work, publicize
his/her work within the school and have several different novels by the
author as well as copies of each.
2. Publicize within the community--invite parents.
3. Develop a fan club within the student body--great helpers when
making posters for publicizing the author visit.
4. Find a local book vendor. S/he may be able to supply numerous copies
of the author's books so that students can buy and have the book
available for signing. The vendor that I used was wonderful. She
provided a sheet with all of the books that had available for pre
ordered books, but was also at the school during the author's visit to
sell in the library. Typically, the author is not involved in the book
selling part of the visit.
5. I provided bottled water, fruit tray, breakfast doughnuts, etc. For
a nice touch, I bought balloons, table covers, and potted plants for the
presentation area. I also bought a gift bag for when the author
leaves--as a "thank you".

What has excellent author done during their visit?
The author provided an interactive writing workshop, interactive
presentation, book signing, and read portions of his developing novel.
GREAT author!
Have you had an author visit "gone bad"? What happened?
Not really "bad". But one bit of advice. Make sure that you communicate
with the author the specified times for the visit and that it is written
in stone. Some authors don't realize the stringent schedules of middle
school.

How much does price factor in your decision to host an author at your
school?
The range is vast--depends on if they are a local author, how
well-known, etc.

What factors have contributed to choosing one particular author over
another?
Make sure that the author is appropriate regarding student level,
content, etc. Also, make sure the students are familiar with that
particular author.
Hope this helps!!
Jean Faris
Riverwood Middle School