I want to re-enforce what Allan has said. We do encourage our teachers
to check out materials; we do check them for for them often. That said,
we NEVER embarrass a teacher or belittle them.

These are not my materials. They belong to the school - all of us - and
we say that often. It is much easier to share what I think of as "our
materials". My thinking is that these materials will come back home -
they have our ownership markings and barcodes.

Yes, I want to be a responsible steward of all our materials and I
prefer to have them properly checked out, but people are always more
important than "stuff". If we treat everyone with respect we are more
likely to create a positive feeling about the library. Positive feelings
are more likely to produce co-operative behavior - from students, from
faculty, and from parents. That's my goal in all we do.

We provide an important function in our school and want to continue to
have the support of faculty and administration, students and teachers.
We won't exist without that kind of support.

Just my two cents!

Sue McGown, Librarian
St. John's School
Houston, TX.