Thank you, thank you, Shonda for saying so much, so clearly, so to the
point. "Library 2.0" (an irritating meme, but a crucial concept) is
already here. Those librarians who are not willing to put in the time
and effort to keep out front and meet the children where they are will
soon find their libraries empty and eventually their programs destaffed.
We know this is already happening. That is the discomfitting reality.

In our library the manga fly off the shelves; they're also a great way
to reach out to some reluctant readers and LEP kids and begin shifting
them to more challenging materials. We're looking into gaming, blogs and
wikis, too. There is so much that could be done it's exhausting to think
about. For me, this isn't bandwagonism, it's engaging the mission:
serving children.

At Computers in Libraries/Internet@Schools in March I had a refreshing
conversation with Joyce Valenza, who had had the gumption to endorse
Wikipedia in her keynote (albeit with qualifications). I told her I
suddenly felt less alone. As she pointed out, Wikipedia ought to be the
reference of first resort for any number of topics, including
contemporary entertainment and many aspects of computer administration
and programming. If we had kids building their own wikis, they'd
understand intuitively what the strengths and weaknesses are; we
wouldn't even have to tell them. We spend so much effort telling kids
that Wikipedia and MySpace and video games and IM are bad and not worth
their time, we don't even notice the deafening silence of their
response. What do we think our children are spending the bulk of their
non-school time doing? Why aren't we meeting them there? School (or
work, from our perspective) is not a separate entity from the rest of
life; it is distinct, but part of a continuum.

/*  Bob Hassett, Head Librarian     */
/*  Luther Jackson Middle School  */
/*  3020 Gallows Rd.                    */
/*  Falls Church, VA, 22042          */
/*  (703) 204-8133                        */