I have to agree about the gaming during class time. I think it is a bad
precedent to set and so I don't allow it. I do, however, have a full house
of gamers before school and after school. There are several reasons not to
allow gaming during class time:
1. The computers are educational tools.
2. We have a minimum number, often not enough for every student who needs
one to work. How can I allow students to tie them up for gaming?
3. Once you allow students to game if they say they have no work to do, you
will find yourself with a lot more students who are suddenly done with all
their work.
4. I try to avoid "grey" areas as much as possible, so I have a fast rule
that there is no gaming during class hours.
5. Sometimes gaming on the Internet or the downloading of such games steals
bandwidth from the network and slows everyone down.
6. Lastly, I don't wish to promote the library as a hangout, but rather as a
place to discover and learn.

I have absolutely no problems attracting students to my library. Quite the
contrary. We have a very comfortable, welcoming environment. I should note
that I do have Manga books, joke books, comic books, and books of the Cirque
du Freak type. It's not that I don't want to be progressive. I think I am
very progressive in the services I offer and the way I interact with the
students. I just don't want gaming during class time. Students that have
real work to do appreciate that. And my student aides are stern enforcers of
this policy.

Marsha Redd
Librarian, Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com
Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a student.
Everyone is a teacher.