I've had a few questions about teaching students to determine bias in a
website.  What I'm using is based on the same principles used to teach
"print and television media bias" --- much like what I did when I taught
journalism / English.  The internet is still a medium that is used to
distribute information and to communicate, so like the newspaper and
television, the information can still be evaluated in many of the same
ways---although it can often take much more time because authors are hidden,
links are broken, information is missing, and the message changes daily and
by others (Internet 2.0).

I will try to post on my wiki some of the worksheets and information sources
that I've used ---I'll let you know when it's there.  Much of it is similar
to what most of you are probably already doing when you evaluate websites
using those basic forms (such as Kathy Schrock's forms); however, I've often
tried to take it a step further and dig a little deeper.  I'd like to
develop something like a "CSI: Media and Internet Bias" class, so that I
could create opportunities for students to investigate media (all types)
for least one semester.  In this course (yet to be developed, but in the
works in my mind), I'd like to provide different steps toward teaching
students how to read information from printed sources, and search for things
like bias. Then move to the Internet level and really search for viewpoints,
bias, facts, opinions, etc.  (This would also include learning how to delve
into the Internet Archives for pages lost.)

In the meantime, reality hits, and I must quickly show them what to check
for before determining what to use online. My reality is I don't have the
time with the students to really show them what's out there and how to
evaluate all media.

More to come...I'll post a HIT with the wiki page of where all of this is
located in a few days.

Thanks~

~Shonda

--