I am writing a grant for a 7th grade book club related to food issues.

Part I will deal with eating disorders.  We will first read Fat Chance.  We will
also read some magazine articles (this week's People has a great article) and watch
the DVD, Dying to be Thin.

Part II will deal with body image.  We will read Life in the Fat Lane.  We will
conduct a survey using pictures of actresses and asking students and teachers to
rate them as "too thin," "too heavy," and "just right."  (I've done this in the
past, and the many boys and all the men believe that these celebreties are too thin
and unhealthy-looking.)

Part III will deal with healthy eating.  Part of my budget will go toward
ingredients for healthy dishes that the girls will prepare.  We will also watch the
school version of "Supersize Me."  I don't know what book we'll read for this part.
 Help!

I hope you can help me with the following:
1.  What book should we read for the last part?  It's going to be hard to find a
nonfiction book that's a page turner, but I think nonfiction is what we need.
2.  Do you have any suggestions for other videos I might purchase?  So many kids
have seen Dying to be Thin that I'm not sure I want to use it again.
3.  Should I have speakers?  Dietitian?  Weight Watchers?  Someone who has lost
weight and kept it off?
4.  Are there other activities or field trips you could recommend?
5.  What else should I include in my budget?

I will post a hit and send a copy of my grant proposal to anyone interested.

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School