Good morning all,

I am enjoying this subject, thanks for bringing it up.  Here is my two
cents worth.

    * My first priority is to have a library which is usable and can run
      itself with as little upkeep as possible.  The first step of this
      means ordering my books with processing.  (When I started working
      in libraries, the charge for processing really bugged me, now I
      see how it frees me up for more important things.)
    * The next thing I am starting is shelf markers for the younger
      students so that they can put books away.
    * Training older students to be library aides. - I am in a K-12
      school today, if I train a high school student to check in and out
      books an shelve them, I will be able to give information lessons.
    * Book ordering - I have put together a wiki page to allow teachers
      to give me input as to which books or subjects they would like to
      have me order.

    My thoughts are if I can get these housekeeping chores out of the
way, it frees me up for what I do best, which is to teach students. I
travel throughout my district as the only librarian for fifteen
schools.  I am in each school for a week.  If I walk in and the library
aide position is well filled and the library looks great, I can work
with students for the whole week.  If the library needs help due to the
lack of training on the part of the library aide, I am reading shelves,
doing inventory, processing books, and other housekeeping chores.

    I hope my thoughts come through appropriately on this topic, I am
starting my third week with no weekend due to travel schedule, the
upside is that I am listening to the Bering Sea crash on rocks as I sit
on Diomede Island.  The other upside is that I love my job and wouldn't
want to be anywhere else.

Darla

Darla Grediagin
District Librarian