I have a similar  problem with cds - not 150 of them, but they are just
sitting there, although cataloged. Who knew, when we were so excited about
this new technology (an entire encyclopedia on ONE cd!!), that they would be
bypassed so soon? I, too, would like some advice about what to do with them.

Maybe giving them away to teachers? Maybe they just need to be weeded. What
do you all think?

The other day I even found a key to the "CD Tower" --- which is long gone. I
have never seen it, but the key remains.I am thinking of making a collage of
interestingly shaped keys that don't go with anything.

Diane

Diane Roberts
St. Thomas High School
Houston, TX 77007
www.sths.org

On 9/1/06, sandra carswell <sandracarswell@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I inherited a library with about 150 software cds on the shelves in the
> storage room. I sent a bibliography out to the teachers to try to get some
> checked out. The only response I have received was from the tech
> coordinator
> who was all up in arms because she said I can't do that! She said we don't
> know if we have site licenses or single use licenses for them. I told her
> assumed they were single. Then she said the teachers can't download
> software
> to their computers, only the technologist can and that wouldn't be a high
> priority item. I suggested that some of them could be used off the cd and
> not downloaded. She agreed I could check those out to the teachers.
> Now I have a student that wants to check one out. It has to be downloaded
> work. I don't know if you have to leave the cd in the computer for it to
> work or not. Would this be a copyright issue? What if she downloaded it to
> her home computer and kept it after returning the disk?
>
> I'm going to have to find a home for all of this stuff. I just hate having
> it on the shelves going nowhere.
> Can I offer it to other libraries or teachers in our district? Would that
> be
> a violation of the copyright?
>
> If no one at school wants to use them, can I sell them?
>

> Sandra Carswell, Librarian
> S.C. Lee Junior High School
> 1205 Courtney Lane
> Copperas Cove, TX  76522
>
> 254-542-7877
>
> sandracarswell@hotmail.com
> sandraca@ccisd.com

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/