I've been following this discussion involving new technologies in the
library with interest because understanding it seems crucial in being able
to see the future of library media in a clear way.  In bringing up this
topic, Gail Smith notes how divided the profession is regarding those who
embrace technology and those who value more traditional methods, wisely
noting that the most avid traditionalists are probably not even active in
this kind of electronic conversation.  The question is ultimately about the
value of technology in the learning process, which is indirectly addressed
by Kathy Sierra in her article "Becoming the thing that replaces you," a
worthy read provided by Bob Hassett's link.  Sierra suggests, "Whether we're
trying to innovate around our existing products and services or trying to
find a completely new idea, we have to back up to the meta-level rather than
focus on implementation."  In other words, does the technology available
within a particular library/media center assist a particular student in his
particular assignment more so than the traditional approach—and if so, which
technologies are best, because choices are expanding exponentially each
year.  Laura Brooks makes an excellent point when she reminds us that "web
2.0 and books need not be mutually exclusive," and Herb Wilburn is
refreshingly ingenuous when he declares, "I adopt and use technology as it
becomes useful in helping my students learn and is developmentally
appropriate."

Of course, the question (or "cross roads") is really not about whether or
not to include technology into the library/media center, it's which
technology and how much of it.  I've been reading these posts, as well all
the information provided in the web sites linked off of this discussion (as
well as even more information provided in web sites linked off of the links
provided in this discussion), and I realize that the process of learning in
which I am currently engaged begins with information solely acquired
electronically, much of it through Web 2.0 platforms, which facilitates
active dialogue among professionals.  And that's an amazingly good thing.

            The area where our students most need our assistance is in
direction; so much information is available now, much of which is not
credible, that our job is to help students steer.  We can't do that unless
we stay current and open minded, which can be a challenge for some
people—the age old fear of being replaced by a robot is really a fear of
inadequacy and a low level of self-confidence.  Learning about technology
can be daunting; it took me forever to learn exactly what Web 2.0 is, so I
can certainly understand how overwhelming it can be.  But isn't also
enticing?  The continuous opportunities to learn and implement is one of
this field's most appealing draws.

Linda Bennett

LIS Student, C.W. Post

English Teacher, Northport HS, NY