ADULT FICTION FOR LIBRARIES

Thanks once again to everyone who sent suggestions.  I appreciate your input
very much.  I've organized your responses by author, then  title & author,
and finally other suggestions.

AUTHOR SUGGESTIONS

Albom, Mitch / Austen, Jane / Baladucci, David / Brooks, Terry / Clancy, Tom
/ Clark, Mary Higgins / Coben, Harlan / Cornwell, Patricia / Crichton,
Michael / Cussler, Clive / Dessen, Sarah / Evanovich, Janet / Flagg, Fannie
/ Giardina, Claudia, / Goodkind, Terry / Grafton, Sue / Gregory, Philipp /
Grimes, Martha / Grisham, John / Gruen, Sarah / Hamilton, Laurell K. /
Harris, Charlaine, / Henderson, Dee / Hiaasen, Carl / King, Stephen /
Kinsella, Sophie / Koontz, Dean / McCaffrey, Anne / McCourt, Frank /
Patterson, James / Pelzer, David / Picoult, Jodi / Rivers, Francine /
Salvatore, R.A. / Sanford, John / Sebold, Alice / Shreve, Anita / Sparks,
Nicholas / Weis, Margaret /

Not so popular lately at my school: Clark/Cornwell/Clancy(except for
NetForce)/Ludlum/King/ Patterson/Vonnegut/Pelzer/

TITLE SUGGESTIONS

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Any Philip Roth, especially The Human Stain

Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series

Cyclops/Pacific Vortex/Treasure of Kahn by Clive Cussler

DaVinci Code/Angels & Demons/Deception Point by Dan Brown

Deception Point by Dan Brown

Eventide by Kent Haruf

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Godfather by Mario Puzo

Ines of my Soul / Daughter of Fortune / House of Spirits by Isabelle Allende

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Left Behind Series

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

Lion's Game/Up Country by Nelson DeMille

Lovely Bones/Lucky by Alice Sebold

Mount Dragon/Riptide by Lincoln Childs & Douglas Preston

My Sister's Keeper and everything else by Jodi Picoult

Notebook/Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

Peace Like a River, Leif Enger

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Plainsong by Kent Haruf

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

S is for Silence, etc. by Sue Grafton

Secret Life of Bees

Secret life of bees by Sue Monk Kidd

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

State of Fear/Next by Michael Crichton

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea

The Innocent Man by John Grisham

The Kite Runner by Khalid Hossein

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (the best book ever!)

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer

The Third Twin/Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Time to Kill/Bleachers/Street Lawyer by John Grisham

Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Tuesdays with Morrie/Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

One of the new books that I was surprised circulated as often as it did is
Greg Palast's The Best Democracy Money Can Buy.  I read it too and highly
reocmmend it.  He's a perfect example of a dying breed of truly
investigative reporters.  I've seen him on C-SPAN as well and he's a very
eloquent, amusing speaker.  Another book that I'm half way through and that
is also excellent is John Perkins' Confessions of an Economic Hitman;
diction, rhetoric, tone, style, explains difficult concepts like
macro-economics very well.

You may want to look at the 2007 (and past) Alex Award winners.  If you are
not familiar with it, then here's the info. "The Young Adult Library
Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association
(ALA), has selected 10 adult books that will appeal to teen readers to
receive the 2007 Alex Awards.
"http://www.ala.org/ala/yalsa/booklistsawards/alexawards/alex07.htm

ALA has an award every year called the Alex Awards.  It goes to ten new
titles each year that are published for the adult market that would
especially interesting to teenagers.  Those titles are perfect for your
list.  You'll find it at www.ala.org; then click on Awards and Scholarships;
then click on Book Awards; then look for Alex Awards.

"VAN"
Diane K. Van Gorden, Librarian
Baker Middle & High School Library
Box 659
Baker, Montana USA  59313-0659

voice 406.778.3329
fax 406.778.2785
email vangordend @ baker . k12 . mt . us

"When one cannot go away, one can travel in spirit by means of books."
Louisa May Alcott, Letters, February 1884