 From: lnocita@BARSTOWSCHOOL.ORG
 To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
 Sent: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 2:42 PM
 Subject: GEN: Newsweek article 2/19/07

  There's an article in the lastest issue of Newseek called "Fourth-Grade
Slump."  (p. 47)  There's a useful statistic if you are looking to
increase or justify your budget or if you're looking to promote an SSR
program.  I like to collect these tidibits because you never know when one
might come in handy!  As someone whose budget underwent a drastic cut this
year I need more ammo!  The article says that fourth grade is a turning
point for many kids.  A 2006 survey by Scholastic found that 40% of kids
age 5 through 8 read every day.  By fourth grade it drops to 29%.  "Kids
need to use a wide range of reading materials--nonfiction and expository
writing--and lots of vocabulary words."

Lisa Nocita, LMS
lnocita@barstowschool.org
The Barstow School
11511 State Line Road
Kansas City, MO 64114
816-277-0308

Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools,
free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail
and more.