(So I finished Harry Potter 1 am Saturday night - I guess that was Sunday.
;-))

But I am working on another project and would appreciate your insight. I did
a brief narrated presentation on the "time for change" related to Internet
safety for NECC (I was not able to attend that session).

I have already had 2 requests for this. I am also putting together a
Powerpoint that can be used for parent workshops on safe and responsible
Internet use (will be ready for this fall). And I have some other
presentation material for educators.

So it occurred to me that it might be really helpful for ed tech and library
folks to have a Powerpoint on safe and responsible Internet use that you
could use for staff development. My goal is to have this by the first of the
school year.

So here are some of my thoughts. I would appreciate feedback and more
thoughts.

I will focus on the shift from Web 1.0 approach (fear-based, simplistic
rules, blocking) to a Web 2.0 approach (protection of younger children,
empower tweens and teens with insight to make good choices, focus on
accountability).

Then I plan to focus on the school issues.

Too much Internet recess. Use should be for educational purposes online
(supported by clear expectations and professional development).

The need for staff supervision as well as increase in technical monitoring.

Addressing use and supervision concerns related to substitutes.

The importance of granting librarians and other key staff with the authority
and ability to override the filter to provide access to inappropriately
blocked sites.

Providing access to reviewed sites that provide appropriate teen health
information, including LGBTQ material (which is frequently totally blocked).

Making sure everyone - staff and students - knows what to do if the computer
gets into a porn trap and ensuring a fair and effective analysis of such
situations to avoid blaming the innocent.

What else?

Think of me as an "outside expert" (I am over 50 miles from most of you
;-)). What would you like me to say to the other staff in your building
about Internet use so that in the future you can remind these folks about
appropriate standards by saying "Do you remember what she said about ...?" I
hope this will be helpful for you.

Thanks in advance.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)