Hello Everyone,

We are currently seeking an evening librarian for The SEED Public Charter School,
located in Washington, DC. We are a grades 7-12 college preparatory charter school.
We are the nation's only public boarding school (now you see the need for an
evening librarian!). We have 320 students, all live on campus from Sunday evening
through Friday afternoon (they go home for the weekend). To learn more about SEED
PCS, please visit the website of our founding organization, The SEED Foundation:
http://www.seedfoundation.com/DC/index.asp

I am the librarian -- my title will be changing to be more descriptive when the
evening librarian is hired, but I work the academic daytime hours -- at the SEED
PCS, so if you have any questions, please email me directly. This is my second
academic year at the school. As stated at the bottom of this job listing, please
send your resume to the attention of Ms. Katie Severn (principal) at
teaching@seedschooldc.org or via fax at 202-248-3022.

We are seeking to fill this position ASAP. Here is the description (please email a
request to me at nkaplon@seedschooldc.org if you would like to receive the job
description in a Word file). Please feel free to forward this to anyone who may be
interested:

JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY

TITLE: Evening Librarian

DEPARTMENT: Student Life

REPORTS TO: Principal

SUMMARY: Coordinate and continue to develop an emerging school library; will work
afternoon and evening hours and is able to staff library until 10 pm

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

-- Collaborate in a strong team environment to:

-- Work with Day Librarian to create and sustain policies and procedures for a
fully functioning library that supports a standards-based middle school and
rigorous college preparatory upper school

-- Collaborate with Day Librarian to continue working towards goals and vision of
current library program

-- Ensure library is open, staffed, and fully operational during Student Life
programming so that students are able to access the study space, texts, and
technology (such as computers and electronic databases)

-- Meet with Day Librarian formally weekly

-- Meet with Day Librarian and Principal formally at least monthly

-- Select, catalogue and process new materials

-- Collaborate with Day Librarian to establish programs and services including open
library hours, class/house visits and special programs and events that meet the
academic and boarding needs of the students

-- Communicate library skills/knowledge, resources, and curriculum materials in an
interesting, stimulating, and effective manner to students and staff

-- Collaborate with fellow teachers and Student Life Staff on planning and
delivering instruction, professional development, and curriculum design to
contribute to the continuous improvement of instruction and development of
information literacy at the school

-- Provide for an engaging and visually stimulating library learning environment

-- Identify special needs of students and seek additional help, as needed

-- Work with Day Librarian to formulate a yearly budget

-- Maintain and submit necessary records and reports

-- Train, coordinate and supervise student and community volunteers

-- Participate in faculty meetings, workshops, staff development programs, and
other school sponsored activities

-- Participate in four weeks of summer programming including direct service to
incoming and returning SEED youth and curriculum work with colleagues

-- Assist in general building supervision and discipline of students outside of the
classroom

-- Adhere to the professional and ethical standards as outlined in the SEED PCS
Staff Manual

SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES

In consultation with supervisor, incumbent develops deadlines, projects and work to
be done.  Incumbent is responsible for planning and carrying out assignments,
conflict resolution where any exists, coordinating work with others as necessary
and interpreting policy on own initiative in terms of established objectives.

Completed work is reviewed for completeness and effectiveness in meeting
requirements and expected results.

Incumbent works under the administrative direction of the Director of Academic
Programs.

FLSA: Exempt

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

-- School and/or urban youth experience;  though work in an urban middle or high
school is highly desired

-- MLS or at least 30 credits finished toward the MLS; school library media focus
is highly desired

--  Literacy and developmental reading experience highly desired

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS

The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, some standing,
walking, sitting, bending and carrying of light items such as books and papers is
required.

WORKING CONDITIONS

The work involves everyday risks and discomforts which require normal safety
precautions typical of such places as classrooms, offices, meeting and training
rooms, etc.  The work area is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.

This position description may not describe all duties, responsibilities and skills
associated with this position. It is intended to portray the major aspects of the
job and is not meant to be all inclusive. Other duties or skills may be required.

Please send resume to the attention of Ms. Katie Severn at
teaching@seedschooldc.org <mailto:teaching@seedschooldc.org>  or via fax at
202-248-3022.

Thank you!

Nancy