I'm really glad Dorothy took her time and brought these issues out
again. While I agree with much that she says, I think that she brings
attention to what I feel are misperceptions about the meaning and
significance of some of the newer, in many cases only now emerging,
technologies and what they could, should, and might mean for the
classroom.

As Dorothy says, the issue of learning absolutely must be foremost in
what we do. The issue, it seems to me, is how we get there. What
strategies, techniques, can we bring to bear on this task. And upon
WHOM? Who are these learners? HOW can we construct these lessons for
maximum impact?

Dorothy scoffs at what she calls "digital players," but when I'm
introducing students to a new device or program, I generally show them
the basics -- "This is how you do such and such, this menu over here
controls that ..." Then I tell them, "Now why don't you just play with
it for a little bit and see what you can do." A lot of them look
confused or uneasy for a moment because they're not used to being
allowed to explore without a specific time frame and a set of definite
answers in mind. But the result is generally that within a half-hour the
students can show me features I was not previously aware of. Children
learn quite naturally in the absence of obstacles.

It bears asking why students are willing to put so much effort into
learning to navigate virtual worlds and program devices and why so often
they resist engaging with, or if you'd prefer, working hard in, the
world of school as it's constructed. One reason is that they find games
fun. Is fun bad? I have had a number of grown-up jobs, not excluding my
present one, where I almost always have some measure of fun. Mark
Wagner's cover story in the current Connected Newsletter cites Seymour
Papert's intriguing idea of "hard fun," activities that are hard work,
and intentional, but which students eagerly complete because they enjoy
doing them. We should keep in mind, too, that many things that are very
difficult and seem boring to us now were fun at one time. For example, I
find that young children can enjoy memorizing things. When we gave our
7-year-old a multiplication chart last summer, his reaction was, "Oh,
cool!" If you give a chart to a 10th-grader and suggest that she
memorize it, the reaction is likely to be somewhat different. So the
right activity at the right developmental stage and the right time are
important, too. That's where we come in. That's differentiation.

To answer one of Dorothy's questions: It's true that students in my
(middle) school aren't searching for the causes of the Darfur crisis,
but I can say with confidence I never did so either at that age and it
hasn't crimped my own political or social engagement as an adult. I
entered middle school in 1979 and have a vague recollection of the
Iranian hostage crisis, but am certain I never researched it. If
children cut their teeth and develop solid search and retrieval skills
looking up "cheat codes" (a misnomer) for Halo 2, the skill is learned
the same as it would be looking up Gandhi's salt march. That's not to
say that the child should stop there, just that there is nothing
inherently unworthy about the subject. The great strength of information
literacy is that it's subject area independent.

I certainly don't believe that we need to bring every new thing that
children are "into" into the classroom. But I do believe fervently that
we need to break down the sense of separation children experience
between schooling and the rest of their lives. If school becomes merely
a dreary place where they're forced to endure often insignificant and
mercilessly enforced rules and is measurably less meaningful, less
engaging, less connected than the rest of their lives, we're in real
trouble. Or are we already? We have to begin erasing the separation
between learning and living.

Finally, I seriously question the assertion that mediated communication
is unreal. It is different to participate in a forum online or to
instant message someone than it is to speak in person, in the same room.
But is it essentially less fulfilling? That's an important question. I
would argue that the answer depends on the people and on the context. I
have had some very intense, very real exchanges online with people I've
never met in person or even spoken to on the phone. I've also taken f2f
classes, for 9 months at a stretch, that were tedious and
unenlightening, where I learned nothing. It's ironic that Dorothy uses
an example from a TV commercial to make her point about human contact.
TV can be a very isolating medium. But gaming is not. Neither is
blogging nor creating a wiki or a podcast. All of these are highly
interactive, dynamic, engaging spaces that provide useful platforms for
collaboration and for high-quality, directed activities in a broad range
of content areas.

There is no one way to assure successful learning. If there were, we
wouldn't be having this discussion. For some students, in some schools,
a completely "unwired" environment might be exactly right (I'd be
skeptical, but open to the possibility, particularly for younger
children -- Clifford Stoll has written persuasively about this). But it
seems to me that to slam the door on what is clearly a deep change in
the way children communicate, interact, create, and learn, is to walk
away from some very powerful opportunities to reach children.

---Bob.
/* Bob Hassett, Head Librarian                */
/* Luther Jackson Middle School             */
/* 3020 Gallows Road                            */
/* Falls Church, Virginia  22042              */
/* (703) 204-8133                                  */
/* Bob.Hassett@fcps.edu                      */

See you in the Library!