Dear LM_NETters who use AR:

We use AR in grades 1-9. Grades 6-9 are in my building.
As the end of the year approaches and we look at the students' reading
progress we see that they are not doing very well.

The elementary librarian says that the 1-2 grades are reading at grade level

In my building the we have one teacher using AR to test students over
articles she has printed from the Internet. I thought she was doing this
because it made an easy quiz for her. Then I thought, she still has to come
up with the questions and type them in the program.
Therefore her students have accumulated lots of points--some are at 300% of
their goal but their reading level has not improved.

Another teacher requires her students to read 4 pt. books. The struggling
reader cannot find a 4 pt. book on an easy level.
The good reader keeps reading easy books.

I know the teachers see AR as just another task to do but the program
manages the reports, goals, and points for them.
We librarians enter all the names, set the goals, buy the books, mark the
books, etc.
Surely the teachers could utilize the reading record and check it once a
week to make sure students are moving up their ZPD.

 Thanks for listening again.

Kay Goss
Director, Library Media Services
Mansfield Secondary Library Grades 6-12
316 West Ohio Ave. Mansfield, MO. 65704
Home of Laura Ingalls Wilder
417-924-3236 Ext. 311
klg@tnp.more.net

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel,
must be intolerably stupid." Jane Austen