Frustrated as a LMS and frustrated as a parent of middle schoolers, in all
honesty.

My biggest frustration this semester is my son's 8th grade history teacher
who required participation in History Day, but didn't provide any
information on criteria or parameters other than "20 sources."  Then,
following the district competition and to prepare for the state history day
(which is tomorrow), the instruction was to ensure there is a total of "100
newspaper sources" in the bibliography.  100 sources!!!  Oh, yes, and it
"doesn't matter if you actually used these sources."  What does that teach
students about research and citations?

Thank goodness the History Day website offers detailed information.  I plan
to make this available to the teacher (who has been doing this since the
dawn of time) and the principal before it rolls around again next year.

And I'm doing lots of deep breathing -- thankful that it's almost over!

:)
pjj

Paula Joseph-Johnson, Asst. LMS
Bristow High School Media Center (Bristow, OK)
pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us