Since this thread is sort of one of those "access" issues, I would like
to know how the rest of you are dealing with access to Web 2.0
applications?

Our students all have in-house e-mail accounts, but in the past we've
had policies barring student access to blogs, social networking sites,
etc.  (School policy that I follow, not my own policy that I developed).
Our lab machines are also set up so that students cannot save bookmarks
to the browsers or change settings.

In the past year or two, I've noticed that much more "legitimate"
information is getting published in blog form and there are many more
very legitimately (for research) useful web applications such as social
bookmarking (diggo or del.icio.us), etc.

Are you changing your policies to allow kids more access?  Have we been
much more restrictive than the rest of you out there?  How do you deal
with COPA and your kids who are under the age of 13?

dave

Dave Wee, Librarian
Harvard-Westlake Middle School
700 North Faring Road
Los Angeles, California 90077
Phone -- (310) 288-3270
E-mail -- dwee @ hw dot com

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where
people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
employing wild animals as librarians."
~~ Monty Python ~~