I have to jump into this discussion as we are a district that has
invested heavily in interactive whiteboards across all grade levels. I
don't think the discussion is necessarily about which brand of board
is best. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I think
what I'm hearing you say is that successful integration has a lot to
do with teacher desire, training and time to implement. It's important
to remember that the technology in and of itself isn't the problem or
solution. The problem comes from teachers feeling overwhelmed and
reverting back to old, comfortable ways of doing things.

Like I said, we've invested heavily in interactive whiteboards. We're
up to about 80 at the high school level alone. We have some teachers
that use them as large-screen TVs to show videos or screens to project
their Powerpoint presentations on. I see teachers using them to show
something from the web. Are these the most creative uses? No. Does
this use have merit in the classroom? Absolutely. The teachers that I
disparaged of ever using their boards for anything besides expensive
overheads last year are trying more things this year. The adjustment
factor had a lot to do with implementation.

Also, last year our training was horrible. Actually, there are no
words that would pass anyone's filters that will express how awful it
was. So, we all learned together. Someone would try something and
share with their colleagues. I would see someone doing something
creative and I would pass it along. This year, our training was
significantly better. Our teachers are more confident. I'm seeing the
boards being used as part of the daily business of teaching. Not
always the most creative, but they have become an important part of
the teacher's tool chest.

Just a few thoughts!!

Cyndi

--
Cyndi Bowman
Technology Education Support Teacher (TEST)