I agree with you Julie, the problem is, I have some visible tattoos too,
and kids just go crazy for them asking me "what is that?" "when did you
get it?" "did it hurt?". By now they are used to them, and some other
teachers have them too (how am I suppose to cover my ankle during the
summer? or my shoulders?)
Our principal has no problem at all with tattoos or body piercing, but
I try not to make a big deal of it, meaning that I explain to the kids
it's a part of me and they don't have to make a fuss.
Even to this day being a young librarian surprises a lot of people, but
this is my third year and I'm 22. I think of myself as a good example
for others, letting them know you can be young, have a social life,
tattoos, boyfriend, and still be a good librarian who enjoys working
among books and kids.
Hopefully society will start looking at us as something more than
"bookworms".
Have a great day fellows!

Carolina Cuello
Elementary/Middle School Library
Lincoln American International School in Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel: (54-11) 4794-9400 (ext. 144)
cuello_c@lincoln.edu.ar

>>> Julie Hoy <juliehoy@ELP.RR.COM> 11/28/2007 11:24 AM >>>
The times certainly HAVE changed!  (Thank goodness!)
I happen to be an elementary school librarian who has a few tattoos.
I'm a good person, clean, educated, never been arrested, etc. . .
I just happen to like body art!
Unfortunately, my school district hasn't progressed and requires that
all tattoos be covered. I refuse to cover mine since the women who have
their eyebrows & lips tattooed aren't required to cover theirs. My
tattoos are not offensive and in fact, I receive compliments on them all
the time.
It's too bad that some people are so closed-minded that they judge
people on the colors ON their skin!

Julie Hoy
Librarian
Deanna Davenport Elementary School