When I got my tattoo this past fall (at age 58), a 2.5 inch butterfly on the
front of my left shoulder, the tattoo artist told me of a web site called
the Modified Librarian <http://www.bmeworld.com/gailcat/>.  A number of
librarians with tattoos and unusual piercings have posted pictures and
stories about their adventures in the world of body modifications.

My students and especially my co-workers were surprised, claiming that I am
the last person they would have thought would get a tattoo.  Eventually,
when it was still there several weeks later, several students gathered up
their courage to ask it it was real. I really can't say why I decided to get
a tattoo, but it was something fun, and I guess the fact that others find it
unexpected makes it even better.

--
Gail Smith, NBCT
Librarian & Technology Facilitator