Interesting comments. Of course in my original posting I was just
asking what other people thought, rather than taking a stance. But, I
do not agree. I think there can be limits to this privacy "invasion."
What if somebody were to buy a book about STD's or how to deal with
divorce, or some other personal topic and a person's spouse logs on
and sees these purchases? Or more likely, what if your wonderful
Christmas surprise gift is posted for your friends and family to see?
I know stores are already tallying my purchases, etc. but this
extension bothers me a bit. We can agree to disagree, though, and best
wishes!--mabell

On Nov 28, 2007 9:06 AM, Laura Brooks <brooksla@northville.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am avid fan of Facebook, and I don't understand the hullabaloo over
> the recent so-called privacy breach. Facebook, although free to users,
> has "hidden" costs; the illusion of privacy being the main one. Facebook
> currently has a valuation of at least $2 billion; how can that be as a
> "free" social networking site? Advertising.
>
> Frankly, its new advertising or consumer branding isn't new at all. How
> many of us already tell family and friends when they make a new
> purchase? That  sort of word of mouth advertising has been around for a
> while, Facebook has merely used technology to update it. FB is doing
> this with our permission
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/technology/07adco.html As the
> blogger at www.facereview.com points out, members balked at the invasion
> of privacy when friends could first see their News Feeds; now they love
> it. I suspect this too shall pass.
>
> * Nothing is private on the Internet.
> * Facebookers can control this option.
>
> The alternative is that we have to start paying for social networking
> through a subscription. My 2 cents!
>
> Laura
>

> Laura Brooks
> Library Media Teacher
> Amerman Elementary School
> Northville, MI
> brooksla@northville.k12.mi.us
>
> "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot,
> nothing is going to get better. It's not."
>  -The Lorax, Dr. Seuss

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

"Try Curiosity!"--Dorothy Parker
Dr. Mary Ann Bell
Associate Professor
Sam Houston State University
A Member of the Texas State University System
Department of Library Science
lis_mah@shsu.edu
drmaryannbell@gmail.com