I like the idea of calling the reconsideration committee together to
evaluate a book that has a question or complaint "from within."  I am
in a school district that is very conservative and which has seen its
share of "concerned individuals" from within the school (teachers or
aides) who want me to pull books from the library shelves because the
content offends them. (Although I did not purchase these
materials---my first year here---I have read most of the books that
are being asked to be "reconsidered" and know what is being objected
to within a complaint, although no one has filled out a form.)

A recent request was made by a teacher who did not like a specific
picture book and made the request that her entire class be restricted
from checking out the book---we did not restrict the students. (She
also wanted me to remove the book from the collection, but I did not.)
 Perhaps I should share the Reconsideration Request and encourage the
teacher to complete it so that we can discuss this in-depth.

I believe that if I offer the Reconsideration Request as a way to
allow the individual to voice their concern and then assemble a
committee that has the opportunity to review the material, read the
reviews, and evaluate the material, they will have a chance to
practice the art of evaluating materials for reconsideration.  My hope
would be that these educators would also realize how important it is
to protect others' rights to access information as we discuss the
impact of removing materials from the library.

What issues might be involved in offering this option and pushing the
formation of a Library Reconsideration Committee?  Is this tempting
fate...especially in Texas?

Talk about a 'Type A' behavior....how exciting! *grin*

Ideas???  Suggestions???

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco, MLIS