When I replied to an e-mail with the Snopes link sent by a friend to a group
of people, I received the following reply.  I've ruminated all night about
replying to it and have decided to just let it go, as I wasn't trying to
convince anyone of anything in the first place, rather to look at the issue
a little more broadly.

I would say "I won't make that mistake again," -- but I will!  :)

Pjj

----------------

"I will raise my kids the way I think they should be raised.  If there is a
questionable show on tv, I'll tell them why I feel it's wrong; why they are
not allowed to watch it.  If I see a person smoking, I tell them that
although they may be a good person, they are making a wrong decision. If
there is a movie that goes against my Christian beliefs, my husband and I
explain why it's wrong and then back up that reason Biblically.

So this movie has us "question and clarify" our beliefs.  Why? Why should I
question my belief in God and the Bible, something I KNOW TO BE TRUE?  The
media is so *clever* at just sneaking things past people.  I have to
constantly explain to my kids that although they may hear on tv, read in
books, etc...God's name being taken in vain, that DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.
Although you see young kids on tv, in books, in movies having sex, does not
mean it's right.  Although there is a movie coming out around CHRISTMAS
time, made by an atheist, that will try to suck people into the fact that,
oh, they're just watching a fun, family film -- with underlying atheist
views -- DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

It is this same "whatever/no big deal" attitude that bothers me.  Our
society has gotten into such an "if-it-feels-good-do-it" mentality that it
is tearing away at the very morals our country was based on.  You can talk
all you want in Hollywood about Scientology, Hinduism, New Age,
Wiccans...but the minute you mention Christianity, you're seen as a freak.
Like you've said a four-letter word.

I'm reminded of a story. A woman is baking chocolate chip cookies with her
son.  He recently wanted to watch a show that had a lot of cussing in it,
but, according to him, most of the movie wasn't so bad...pretty good, in
fact.  So his mom says, "You know what?  Let's put a little bit of *dogdoo*
in here.  Just a little bit. They are still chocolate chip cookies."  Would
you still eat the cookies?  Same goes for this movie. "Oh, it's okay.  It's
a family movie."  Don't think so.  There's a little bit of dogdoo in it.

I don't need to examine my views.  I don't need to question my beliefs.  I
answer to God.  No one else."

Paula Joseph-Johnson, Asst. LMS
Bristow High School Media Center (Bristow, OK)
pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us