Diane and Colleagues,

Thank you for this very real example of how teacher-librarians are affected by the
provisions of NCLB. When you call your representatives to protest, make sure that
you ask them to co-sponsor the SKILLs Act (HR 2864/S 1699). This legislation will
amend NCLB to include teacher-librarians for consideration for Title IIA funding.
As Diane stated, teacher-librarians are not currently considered part of the "core
academic areas" and therefore ineligible for these funds under the current
provisions of NCLB. The successfull passage of the SKILLs Act will change this.

Don't just protest, make sure you ask your reps to co-sponsor the SKILLs Act!

To find your representative: www.house.gov

To find your senator: www.senate.gov

Type in your zip code and you will get their office phone number. A phone call is
the most direct way to reach your reps.

Thank you,

Ann

Ann Dutton Ewbank, Ph.D.
President, Arizona Library Association
Member, AASL Task Force on NCLB
ALA Councilor-at-Large

Education Liaison Librarian
Fletcher Library
Arizona State University at the West campus
P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
602.543.8527
Fax 602.543.6500