Thank you for this information about Title 11A. I had already written my
senators & representative to support the SKILLs Act. I just sent them  another
letter including Title 11A information and a renewed urging to support  the
SKILLs Act.

As I mentioned in one of my classes last week - one of the reasons  ancient
Greece was destroyed was because each of the city states wanted to "do  their
own thing" and not unite. They would have been a powerful force against  any
enemy if they had just joined together. We have to unite as school  librarians
if we want to survive our enemy - the NCLB. Let's not be like  ancient Greece.

Alma

Alma Ramos-McDermott
MLS Student
Simmons College, Boston  MA
2006 ALA Spectrum Scholar
AASL Legislation Committee
Former 21  year NYC elementary teacher
sunshinealma@aol.com

Subject: Re: Title IIA and Librarians' Professional  Development

Diane and Colleagues,

Thank you for this very real  example of how teacher-librarians are affected
by the provisions of NCLB. When  you call your representatives to protest,
make sure that you ask them to  co-sponsor the SKILLs Act (HR 2864/S 1699). This
legislation will amend NCLB  to include teacher-librarians for consideration
for Title IIA funding. As  Diane stated, teacher-librarians are not currently
considered part of the  "core academic areas" and therefore ineligible for
these funds under the  current provisions of NCLB. The successfull passage of the
SKILLs Act will  change this.

Don't just protest, make sure you ask your reps to  co-sponsor the SKILLs Act!

To find your representative:  www.house.gov

To find your senator: www.senate.gov

Type in your  zip code and you will get their office phone number. A phone
call is the most  direct way to reach your reps.

Thank you,

Ann

Ann Dutton  Ewbank, Ph.D.
President, Arizona Library Association
Member, AASL Task  Force on NCLB
ALA Councilor-at-Large

Education Liaison  Librarian
Fletcher Library
Arizona State University at the West  campus
P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
602.543.8527
Fax  602.543.6500