Students sometimes tell me, "If you don't have what I need, I'll go to a real
library."

On the other hand, it's happened many times that a student or teacher found exactly
what he or she was looking for in one of our school libraries (even when thinking
it would not happen), and, on occasion, after not having his/her needs met in the
public library.

Two high school students just came in looking for books for a school-sponsored book
club.  They had a few titles in mind (some of which are inappropriate) and, after
glancing at several titles I suggested, rejected them--until I encouraged them to
consider them more closely.  When they did, the girls acknowledged that my
suggestions looked promising.  The students were concerned that not all of the 20
or so participants would like the books--to which I responded that it would not be
possible to find one title that would interest every member of a group that size.
Since one of the principals is to be shown the books, I hope my choices will be
approved.

Basya Karp, Librarian
Shulamith High School and Shulamith School For Girls
basyak10@hotmail.com

“. . .we don’t remember things half as well as books do.  But for them we probably
wouldn’t know anything for very long.  It would all be forgotten. . .”  (Cornelia
Funke, Inkheart)
http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/photos.aspx?gid=164&ocid=T003MSN51N1653A