Message 1 in my Inbox  ...
Barbara K. wrote " The students were concerned that not all of the 20 or so
participants would like
the books--to which I responded that it would not be possible to find one title
that would interest
every member of a group that size"

Message 2 in my Inbox
A request for novels for a class study - a common thing on the lists I belong to.

Maybe it's my quirky DownUnder humour, but I can see a real irony in this.  When do
we start to
acknowledge that each student is an individual and we stop these one-size-fits-all
studies?  Surely
it would be more effective to identify the key elements of the purpose of the study
(whether it be
theme, plot structure; character development or whatever) and develop some
pertinent but generic
questions that could be investigated and answered by the students by reading a
novel of their
choice, one that meets their interests and needs and abilities. It would also
eliminate the need to
purchase multiple copies of the one title that is never used again, or worse, one
that gets the
reputation of "It's Year 9 so it's  Oliver Twist year - groan".  We had this
approach in the 60s
when I was at school -- have we learned nothing and travelled nowhere in 40+ years?

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630