why I needed a Master's Degree to "sit around and check out books".  I let my
husband answer that one because the steam was coming out of my ears and I didn't
want to say anything I'd regret.  I also enlightened him later that day, when I was
a little less worked up.  Yes, Virginia, there IS a difference between being a
circulation desk clerk at a public library and being the one-and-only media
coordinator in a school.

That being said, I am currently working on earning my MLIS and there is a pretty
big disconnect between some of my coursework and what I actually do all day in the
media center.  As I often mutter to my assistant when some piece of equipment
breaks down and I am called to fix it, or we are asked to do some random thing by a
teacher or my principal, "They don't teach this in library school."

Kimberly Kovach
Librarian/Media Coordinator
East Union Middle School
Union County Public Schools
704-624-2114
kimberly.kovach@ucps.k12.nc.us

Please take note that East Union's main phone number will change on Monday, June
16th to (704) 290-1540.  Please place this new number in your records and begin
using it at that time.

**All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third
parties, including law enforcement.