Dear Nancy
Thank you for your message about the Lori Drew case which has made the news here
after the
conviction was recorded last week.

Of course, all we got was a 60 second grab of the 'sensational' aspects of the
case.  I know a
teacher has a copy of this grab to use when she speaks to students next year when
they sign their
AUPs - our schools are finishing up from this Friday.  Now I can forward your email
to her and the
class will have a vibrant discussion about media bias and how careful we have to be
to look behind
what it is on the 6 o'clock news.

Ten years ago I read a survey from the US that demonstrated that most people got
their news from
television  and it suggested that the most powerful person in the world could be
elected on the
strength of the truth, or otherwise, of the news bulletins.  So whether this was an
appropriate law,
case or penalty, it is nevertheless  a case that will appeal to the kids to discuss
the bias, lack
of depth and so forth of television news bulletins - and they are integral to
information literacy.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian