Curtis, i am with you on that one!  I think it has to do with the fact
that the IT folks keep so much of the information "secret".  From the very
beginning the computers were seen as somehow being beyond the average
person.  And of course only a few special people could unlock the
mysteries.  I say it is time to give the responsibility to the poeple.
Teach the teachers how to hook up, download updates , troubleshoot, and be
responsible users, ie loosen up on the filters.  I have been thinking that
it is time for a computer users bill of rights.  When I worked at my last
high school I expected teachers to do their own troubleshooting and
hookup.  I would tell them I would show them as many times as they needed
and that if I could do it so could they.  Their primary response was they
were afraid they would break the machine but short of pouring a glass of
water into the keyboard there is very little they can do to a computer
that I can't fix.  But somewhere with the computers we turned teachers
helpless.