I am currently running a series of three gaming tournament in the library. I
am collaborating with two other groups in my high school and are running the
tournaments as a fundraising activity (I am using the funds to purchase
books for a book club).

Our first one was a great success with about 25 students competing and
another 20 or so as spectators. We charged an entrance fee and sold hotdog
meals for a nominal fee. Students competed in DDR, Guitar Hero II, and Wii
Bowling. We ran it as a double elimination tournament with a losers bracket
to allow somoene the chance to battle back into the winners bracket. We
hooked up the consoles to speakers and LCD projectors which added drama and
allowed spectators to view the competions easier. We also diplayed the
brackets and game results via a LCD projector so all could see where they
stood in the competition.

It was a lot of fun. We had high school boys cheering, hugging, and
congratulating each other. Through the gaming tournment we even had students
begin new friendships. It was a site to see. I had boys in the library who
had never stepped over the threshold until the night of the tournament. At
the end of the night, I had boys thanking me and asking when the next event
was going to be held. One student was particularly perplexed. He said he
never new a librarian could be so "cool." Priceless.

Lisa Gallinatti
Teacher-Librarian
NBCT
Auburn Riverside Librarian