We have finally found a fun solution for discarded books. I am one of those folks
who have never had trouble discarding books, but did hate just to put them in the
landfill.  I also hate to pass on old books to other countries--it just bothers me
to give someone something I don't think is worthy for my students. One of my
English teachers started having her classes make altered books as a culminating
activity for a class novel. She cleaned me out of all of my discarded books, and
the altered books were impressive.  Then others in her department wanted them
too--I even had to go to yard sales to find more old books!

I purchased these books for them to use for ideas:

702 ARE
           Arendt, Madeline.  Altered art for the first time.  New York :
                Sterling Pub., c2005.

702 BRA
           Brazelton, Bev, 1946-.  Altered books workshop : 18 creative
                techniques for self-expression.  Cincinnati, Ohio : North
                Light Books, c2004.

702 HAR
           Harrison, Holly.  Altered books, collaborative journals, and
                other adventures in bookmaking.  Gloucester, Mass. :
                Rockport, c2003.

702 MAT
           Matthiessen, Barbara.  Altered book collage.  New York :
                Sterling, c2005.

702 mic
           Michel, Karen.  The complete guide to altered imagery : for
                collage, altered books, artists journals, and more.
                Gloucester, Mass. : Quarry Books, 2005.

745.593 URE
           Ure, Susan.  The altered book scrapbook.  Ogden, UT : Chappelle,
                c2006.

If you want to see some of the ideas we use in our library, go to
http://lucyandethelinthelibrary.blogspot.com/

Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has
involved replacing what worked with what sounded good.
  - Thomas Sowell

Mary B. Simmons
Currituck County High School
4203 Caratoke Highway
Barco, NC 27917
NBCT/Library-Media
msimmons@currituck.k12.nc.us

*********All email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third
parties, including law enforcement.