Dear LM Netters,

I've been using Reading Counts for the last few years and have combined its
Lexile functionality with our Library catalog so students can search for RC
books at their Lexile level. I then analyze the RC classroom reports to see
whether kids are successful at their designated Lexile levels, which we
obtain from their state reading scores. In my program, Reading Counts and
Lexile go hand in hand with my library catalog (Destiny) to help kids find
just the right book at their level. We even write the Lexile score on the
inside back cover of each RC book on the shelf. Reports from RC include
Lexile information so we can assess student ability given the quizzes
they've taken.

A school in our district will be using AR 7.5 this fall and the teacher
administrating the program will not be using Lexile information even though
our state-wide reading test results include a Lexile result (converted RIT
score). The AR collection for this school will be organized around the AR
reading level of each book and the ATOS rating for the students from the
STAR inventory. This,in spite of the fact that we  share a union catalog and
I have already entered Lexile scores for many of the books that will be part
of her collection.

My question for you is whether AR 7.5 has any Lexile functionality? I
noticed from the the Renaissance Learning site that you can include what
they call "Alternate Book" levels using a 2,000 point scale that is
"similar" to Lexiles. Since my 500 8th graders headed her way are already
on-board with Lexiles, I want to convince this teacher to incorporate
Lexiles in her program to remain consistent. Not sure how easy this might be
with AR 7.5, so if you can enlighten me on this I'd really appreciate it.
In other words, how Lexile friendly is AR 7.5?

Happy Summer,
Pete

--
Pete Madden