Hello,

Our district is considering changing the format for library lessons for
K-4 students.  Currently,library time for each class is 30 minutes
(which has to include checkout).
Sometimes, I do extend this time to 50 min. or more for 3rd/4th graders
doing research. I currently also have time to go into classrooms for
collaborative projects.

The "higher ups" are considering changing the format for all grades: 30
minutes with the librarian, then 20 minutes the teacher has to come in
to the library to join his/her class (50 min. total).

If you are in a similar "split lesson" situation or know of anyone who
is, could you please contact me to let me know how it works?
Does the teacher just come in at the end for checkout? (20 min. is a
long time for the little ones.)
Do you co-teach? Where is the planning time? (I have about 25 teachers.)
I am very much in favor of collaboration - but this is "forced."
Does the teacher simply come in and "do what you're doing?"

Please reply to me off-list at suebee17@aol.com.
If I get enough responses, I'll post a hit.

Thanks.
Su Eley, Librarian
Hillside School, Mt. Laurel, NJ
suebee17@aol.com