Hello,

Last week I posted a request for Newbery lessons that a sub could do.  I
received some great ideas.  Thanks so much!  This group is amazing. (My
sub didn't show up which meant my classes were cancelled, so I can't
even tell you how it went.) Anyway, here is the list of ideas I got.

I do a lesson with my students combining Newbery and genres on the OPAC.
We have a "power" search (Boolean) so I show them how to combine the
term Newbery with mystery or historical or horror or poetry or.....
Then I let them play and combine Newbery with a personal interest such
as dogs or baseball.  The kids really enjoy it and it doesn't take much
knowledge of actual Newbery titles.

I did a "table scramble" once. I set a selection of books at a table,
and kids were supposed to sit down and start reading the one in front of
them.  Then, at a signal (I used a bell, I think) they were to pass the
book to the person on their left and start over.  I gave them each a
checklist of all the titles so they could mark the ones they were
interested in reading.  If I did this again, I'd put sticky notes at the
most gripping passages rather than having them always start with chapter
1, because some books start slowly.  I'd also tell them to read the back
cover/inside flap and then to read from the book.  Good luck!

Create a bingo game using the titles.Or a search lesson on the OPAC
having them use the summaries on the OPAC.
In case it's of interest, the press conference at which the awards were
announced during ALA's Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia is now
available via archived Web cast on Google videos:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4514698237320024574&hl=en
The entire thing is 40 minutes long, so you may not want them to watch
the whole thing, but I can tell you the Newbery part starts at 37:30.
The good thing about the 2008 winners is that I think they are all
suitable for 5th grade, depending on reading ability, maturity, and
interest. I know sometimes the Newbery winners are better suited for
older readers.
I cut apart a Newbery Medal poster so that each book image could be
pasted to an index card. Then I had them laminated so students could
write with Vis-a-Vis markers on them. The assigned task was to use what
they know about call numbers to guess the call number of the card they
picked from the deck. Then use the catalog to look up the call number.
Then go find the book on the shelf. Some we didn't have of course, but
that it a logical outcome of some searches. Those who don't find their
books could pair up with someone whose search ended more fruitfully.
Perhaps then the pairs/individuals could check title page info to see
how it matchess the info from the card (poster) re:
author/illustrator/publication date~year of award, etc.. and/or find a
passage/blurb to read to others to give a taste/booktalk about the
winner.

Molly Clark, Librarian
Minetto Elementary School, K-6
Oswego, NY 13126