I remember the reviews and the buzz when the book came out. However I only remember
a few kids making note of the not very anatomically correct drawing. My reaction:
"well, I guess you're not old enough for the book!" That line always stopped the
tittering.

In recent years, the book never got a mention from any kids. Maybe because the
illustration was so "mild" and they see much more suggestive things in the media
today.

Things have changed in the US in the years since that book was published. My
husband and I went to Paris on our honeymoon in 1972. I remember being surprised to
see  photo ads for bras on buses and metro trains. There was one racy ad for a
department store. The store, Printemps, was opening late evenings for the first
time. The ad had a cat chasing another cat down the street with a bed. The caption,
"Not tonight honey, I'm off to shop at Printemps."

That was very racy for the times and would not have appeared on US trains and buses
in 1972. However now we have ads for male disfunction drugs and miracle cures for
male enhancement on subways in NYC. The huge ads in Times Square often make
visitors blush. Then there's the videos on MTV. Scantily clad women are seen almost
everywhere in the media.

So I think that in some parts of the US, kids are de-sensitized to what we formerly
considered scandalous.

Off the soap box.

Jo

Josephine Dervan, MLS -Online Instructor
School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Stout
dervan at optonline.net

He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero