    In the Night Kitchen will probably always be one of those censored
books by elementary libraries because of the naked behind, but
elementary and censored books are a-changin'.  How about newer books
like No, David! and Tango Makes Three (remember the gay penguin?) and
let's not forget the all too popular Heather Has Two Mommies and the one
with two daddies.
    It's not longer about exposed buttocks, but more current social
controversies that now include animals.  But like Josephine said, these
books are hitting the trends exposed on national levels in
media...wonder what the next wave will bring.
     Are these books to be banned/censored?  I believe all books have a
time and place be it in a home, a public library, a school library, in a
bookstore, online...  Like my husband has told others, "my wife is
liberal in her professional and conservative in her personal beliefs."
I like that point of view...

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
Justin, Texas
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

>>> Josephine Dervan <dervan@OPTONLINE.NET> 6/5/2008 9:09 AM >>>
I remember the reviews and the buzz when the book came out. However I
only remember a few kids making note of the not very anatomically
correct drawing. My reaction: "well, I guess you're not old enough for
the book!" That line always stopped the tittering.

In recent years, the book never got a mention from any kids. Maybe
because the illustration was so "mild" and they see much more suggestive
things in the media today.

Things have changed in the US in the years since that book was
published. My husband and I went to Paris on our honeymoon in 1972. I
remember being surprised to see  photo ads for bras on buses and metro
trains. There was one racy ad for a department store. The store,
Printemps, was opening late evenings for the first time. The ad had a
cat chasing another cat down the street with a bed. The caption, "Not
tonight honey, I'm off to shop at Printemps."

That was very racy for the times and would not have appeared on US
trains and buses in 1972. However now we have ads for male disfunction
drugs and miracle cures for male enhancement on subways in NYC. The huge
ads in Times Square often make visitors blush. Then there's the videos
on MTV. Scantily clad women are seen almost everywhere in the media.

So I think that in some parts of the US, kids are de-sensitized to what
we formerly considered scandalous.

Off the soap box.

Jo

Josephine Dervan, MLS -Online Instructor
School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Stout
dervan at optonline.net

He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero