In my opinion at least part of the problem with education is that students are not
required to learn actual facts the way that they used to be. There is no time for
such frivolity. Our efforts must be concentrated on "The Test" and how to help
students pass it. This means more and more time is spent on reading a selection and
answering questions about the selection. While this is a necessary skill, it is far
from the only skill. Sometimes you just have to learn some facts and then learn how
to analyze them. Also, it is assumed that because of the Internet, students have
easy access to the facts when they need them, so why should they have to be able to
recall them on their own?

Marsha ReddLibrarian, Kelloggsville High School Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.comEducation is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone
is a student. Everyone is a teacher.