I would disagree. My students know how to use the library, they know how
to use the OPAC, and they know how to locate books on the shelf.
However, when they are browsing (maybe in the football section), which I
often do, and are trying to select an AR book for themselves as opposed
to selecting a "free choice" book, the colored dot makes it easier to
identify which of the books they might choose are books they can test
on.

I also read often to my students and some of my very favorite books are
books with "low" colors. If I happen to select a book with a "low"
color, that does not automatically mean that is my highest reading
level.  I love to read James Patterson books but can certainly tell you
that as a college graduate with a master's degree, my reading level is
higher than the 4.3  level that RenLean has assigned to one of his
books. People have no business making assumptions about children based
on the books they carry around.

Sandy Fitzpatrick
Librarian
Cassville Intermediate School