Many thanks to everyone who responded.  He now has several options for
review.  A couple of folks asked for a HIT, so ...

www.chattervox.com - has some specific classroom/teacher applications
mentioned.
-----

We have something similar that we use in most of our classrooms - they are
Front Row Phonic Ear
http://www.phonicear.dk/eprise/main/PhonicEar/DK_gb/SEC_ALS/SoundFieldSystem
s/CNT02_FRTempo
-----

Just received a newsletter from SMART Technologies.  Here is a link to their
new product SMART Audio.

http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Products/SMART+classroom+audio+system/def
ault.htm
-----

There are classroom amplifiers that you can get that cost about $700 or so.
They are wireless and you can put the speakers in opposite corners of the
room.  I've seen them in classrooms, but I don't know where they came from.

You can do a karaoke machine.  Think boombox with a microphone.  Good for
small areas.

If he has a television with extra RCA (red, white, yellow) input jacks or
some other kind of sound system that has those jacks, he can get a $50ish
wireless lapel microphone from Radio Shack.  Plug it into the tv or
multimedia sound system and go.  You can get a hand held microphone that
uses the same plugs, but I liked the lapel version.  You can get better
transmitters for more money.  I plugged the lapel mike receiver right into
the spare input jacks on the TV and was ready to rock.

Walk around his room and see what he has in the way of speakers and TV's and
them make a run to Radio Shack.  Make sure you know what kinds of inputs
slots he has available.  You can take pictures if it is easier.  The guys
there were great when I took this problem to them and told them I was on a
budget that made shoestring look extravagant.
-----

I have this http://www.lightspeed-tek.com/redcat.aspx in my library.  It
works wonderfully!  It is also used in many classrooms in our school  I
would highly recommend it.
-----

Any small PA system would work for this purpose. I'd suggest you get a
wireless mic too. You could do a small system for a couple hundred dollars,
or you could get a really nice one for maybe a thousand. That one puts a
wireless mic receiver and amplifier in the speaker, so that you don't have
to worry about feedback. It would fill a regular classroom, but a gym would
be too big. It could be used as a fill-in system, though, for those times
when you needed to hear what was happening in the gym out in the lobby, for
example, or for someone who has some hearing loss. I believe that Bogen may
have one of these.
-----

I use a Front Row system--"rock star mike" headset with a tower speaker.
With an extra hand held mike (for "intervew questions") the system cost
about $1,000, and well worth it in terms of saving my voice and energy.  The
speaker has a battery option for outdoor use or other portability, and a
lovalier mike is also available.
-----

Thanks again, everyone!

pj

Paula Joseph-Johnson, LMS/Yearbook Advisor
Bristow High School Media Center (Bristow, OK)
pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us