Here are the recommendations for portable PA systems: Thanks to all.

 1)     We have 2 Califone 300 wireless, portable PA systems and handheld
cordless mics.  We use them in situations like you describe.  You can
also buy cordless lapel mics but the handheld fit our needs better.
Ours are four and five years old and we have never had any problems and
one is used almost daily calling names in carpool line. Check online
because the models and prices have problem changed since we purchased
ours.
2)  Look  at TELEX  I have used with non techie guys at church.

3)  I have a portable Fender (brand) that works great It packs up like a
small suitcase.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0693001-PAK-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0
HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

4) We have a Fender Passport 150 system.  It comes with 2 wire mics but you
can order a wireless set that can be a lapel or headset mic.  The wireless
range is great.

5)  We have a few systems from LightSpeed.
http://www.lightspeed-tek.com/default.aspx
Contact them about coming by your school for a demonstration of the 2
units listed below - or whatever else they recommend.

The REDCAT has an all-in-one "classroom amplification" system that
offers a single unit (with a built in amplifier) that includes a
rectangular mic that can be hung around someone's neck on a lanyard or
laid down on a table or passed around. It will support an additional mic
if you choose to purchase one - individual volume controls.  An
Electrical outlet is required.  It also has an 1/8 inch auxiliary out
and an RCA auxiliary in.  This is an amplification system that would be
placed in the back of the classroom to "enhance" the teacher's voice for
those students so they hear at the same level as those in the front -
the teacher is not meant to hear it when in the front of the room.  My
cost last year was $995 for single mic and $175 for an additional mic.

The DeltaX6 6050 is a great portable PA system - I recommend the kit
with the carrying case.  It comes with 2 mics - you request/specify
which combination you prefer - wireless handheld, lapel, or headset.
The company installs the wireless receiver into the box with the
amplifier and speaker.  The mics come with rechargeable batteries (but
you can use regular batteries).  There are volume controls on the
wireless receivers as well as dials on the box for each mic.  The back
allows for additional inputs of 1/4 inch mic, 1/8 inch auxiliary in, 1/8
inch auxiliary out, 1/4 auxiliary out (which can be plugged into
additional speaker(s), speaker out ("switched" - no sound from box
speaker, just whatever you plug into).  This unit has a built-in
rechargeable battery but will also run when plugged into electricity.  I
have 2 of these systems we have used for over a year and only 1 problem
with a bad wire on a lapel mic which was replaced by the company with no
problem.  They are very simple to use (for every faculty meeting in the
Library with 100+ teachers) and I am ordering more systems this year.
We have used this system with auxiliary mics for the spring musical in
our cafeteria and the volume was fair.  My cost last year was $1329 with
2 mics.

6) The music teacher at my school suggested Anchor audio systems model, the
"Beacon." It has 300W, wireless capability, self-contained speaker for approx
$2600.

Vicki Reutter, LMS
Cazenovia (NY) Jr. Sr. High School
vreutt@aol.com
vreutter@caz.cnyric.org

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
calculators.