Dear 'Netters:
Based on high reviews, YALSA Top 10 designation, and positive written
information, I bought a graphic novel *Sidescrollers* by Matthew Loux. I am
in middle school and had planned in advance to put it in my YA section for
my older teens.
However, a teacher brought me the book and asked if I was aware of the raw
language throughout the book. He pointed out a panel in which a character
said "f-k that s-t, I hate that a-hole!" I told the teacher how I had come
to purchase the book but took it aside to read through it more thoroughly.
By the 5th page the characters are describing someone as "the pussiest of
all..." As I perused further I found there were some illustrations that were
also pretty graphic in depicting the female form, crude sexual references,
and very frequent use of the "f" word among others.
Now folks, I'm not shocked by the book. What bothers me is that NONE of the
reviews mention the level of "mature language" throughout this title. While
I know that many teens talk this way and even if they don't utter the words
themselves are relatively immune to hearing it from their friends. I get
that. What I don't get is that we, as librarians and purchasers of materials
for our collections, aren't warned in advance so we can make informed
decisions about what we buy with our dwindling allotments. Mr. Loux is
certainly free to put whatever language he deems appropriate to his
characters and I have no problem with the book in and of itself. My problem
lies with a YALSA Top 10 designation with NO warning about the language.
Thoughts?

--
Susan Grigsby, Teacher-Librarian
President-Elect, GLMA