Although I realize that we often use the YALSA materials for our
school libraries, I have often taken additional care with the YALSA
selections because I realize that the public libraries are probably
the primary focus for YALSA.  The young adult librarians working in
public libraries often will utilize many of the resources and the
reviews from YALSA to create programs for teens; however, when school
librarians take everything that is provided in YALSA as an endorsement
for inclusion of that item in our collections without considering the
primary focus of the organization that is providing the information,
we might find that there are some questionable content.

While I LOVE these lists and the programs, I think we should consider
our primary selection tools that focus on school libraries and
remember the these resources (and the reviewers) are focused on an
entirely different audience and a different set of selection criteria.
If their selections fit your collection development criteria, go for
it.  If not, proceed with caution based upon your community's
standards.

Just a thought.

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

Resources for Texas School Librarians:
http://txschoollibrarians.ning.com/
http://txschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist