About keeping track of what you do during a day for a week or so - here
is an easy way that worked for me years ago.  I created a table/graph in
landscape view with the various categories of my job across the top and
the periods of the day down the side.  Every time the bell rang at the
end of the 40 minute periods, I put 4 check marks under the task
categories I had addressed that period.  So- if I was teaching a class,
the instruction category got 4 checks.  If I were working with a small
group of students AND working on a book order during the period - I
would put 2 check marks under instruction and 2 under collection
development.  If I were gathering materials for teachers and planning
for an upcoming unit - then I might have 2 check marks under "planning
integrated lessons", and 2 check marks under " staff resource
assistance".  You get the idea.  It was VERY easy to do.  I did not have
to write down details about what I was doing - just place the 4 check
marks somewhere.  It helped me understand what I was doing AND it helped
me gather the information into graphs that my principal could understand
at a glance.  At the time I was being shared K-12 so I also kept track
of whether the check marks represented tasks being done for elementary
and tasks being done for secondary.  The graphs made it abundantly clear
that I was spending about 70% of my time with elementary at the expense
of the secondary program.  The principal of the high school was shocked
and he became a strong advocate for me to become full time secondary.
It took a bit of time - but it happened.  I don't think it every would
have without taking those 3 weeks to complete this very informative
tracking.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." ~ The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

“Education is not about filling a pail, it’s about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)