I am planning on starting an adopt-a-shelf program with my fourth graders.  I
thought I would share what I am planning and ask for any feedback on what worked or
didn't work for those of you out there that have done it.

Each student who wants to participate will pick a shelf, from among those I mark,
to adopt.  They can have a partner if they like.  They will be responsible for
keeping their shelf neat - books in order and spines facing out.  If they have time
they will find the returned books that fit on their shelf and put them away.  The
time they have to do this is during the book sign-out time.  If they don't want
their own book or sign one out quickly, then it should work.  I might start giving
a few more minutes to sign out books if the program is working well in that class.

Every week I will pick a shelf that is good order from each class and they will get
a small prize (pencils and erasers from the book fair or other small things I find
like a couple of cards from Sports Illus for Kids that I have a bunch of -any other
suggestions would be helpful).

Once a semester or once a year (haven't decided which is best yet), I will throw a
party for those who participated and stuck it out.  Maybe an ice cream party or if
a whole class does it then we could watch a movie and have popcorn or something
similar.

What do you think?  Has this program worked for you if you have done it?  Does it
create more work than it is worth?  Are partners a good idea or do they just tend
to distract each other?  Anything you could share would be helpful.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to help me out.

Kaline Goodrich, LMS
HES & HMS
Hermon, ME
kaline369@yahoo.com

Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.   - Unknown