Interesting observation. I'm in an elementary school so of course my collection is
very different from a High School collection.  In the past 5 years I've found
myself buying fewer and fewer "report / reference " oriented non- fiction and
instead buying mostly fiction, graphic novels (my kids love the Stone Arch books
from Capstone) and "popular" non fiction.  By popular non fiction I mean the non
fiction that kids - esp. boys read for pleasure.
Books on the military, snakes, motorcycles, bugs,space, animals, cars,etc. etc.

I no longer buy state  & country books, presidental biographies  and career books.
My students would much rather research their topic on the internet and I'm blessed
to have access to some very good databases. I do buy non fiction books on American
symbols, community helpers and other primary topics since the kinder and first
grade teachers check out many books for their browsing boxes.  They like having
books that support their curriculum.

Despite being a Title I, ESL, inner city school our reading scores are in the high
90s and the library is a happening place so it works for us.

Guusje Moore
Librarian
Housman Elementary School
Spring Branch ISD