From: Honor Zalewski [mailto:zalewskih@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 6:24 PM
To: 'LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU'
Subject: copyright

HI All,

Any thoughts.

A teacher asked me if she could give a link to her students to

access an article on Wall Street Journal Online.  I checked out their

copyright policy and it explicitly states that one needs permission

to use in the academic classroom.  I called their copyright center

and was told that it would cost each student $1 for each print copy of

the article. She is allowed to give the students the link to the homepage

(not with article embedded).

(She really wanted them to have access to the article and a hard copy)

My question is this-If she tells them to google 2009 articles on math,

google gives the link with the article she wants them to see on

wall street journal.  Why can one access from google but she can't have
students

access from a direct link?

Many thanks,

Honor Zalewski